This is where I will try to post, as often as I can, on beer topics that are related to my beer, the beer I drink, and my beer education.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Day 31, Engineering

The lecture was rather truncated today, in order to have time for our 2nd exam. The lecture covered shell and tube heat exchange and "fouling". The most common form of fouling in the brewhouse is from oxalates. This happens when a layer of hardened scum from calcium and other minerals forms on the inside of pipes and tanks. When fouling shows up on a heat exchange surface, it can greatly diminish the rate of heat transfer.
The exam went pretty well. I stayed after class to discover that I got 13/14 correct. I missed the question concerning a "black body". Apparently, after a bit of research, a black body is a reference for comparing the absorption of radiation for different materials. With a black body, no radiation passes through and none is reflected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home