This is where I will try to post, as often as I can, on beer topics that are related to my beer, the beer I drink, and my beer education.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Day 27, Half day brewing science, other half sensory training

Today was our last day of sensory training. It was kind of sad, that part of the class was quite enjoyable. It was a good last day too, we tasted 8 beers and I liked almost all of them. We did preference tasting (assuming the role of the customer) on 4 stouts. They were Murphy's Draught, Cooper's Extra, Young's Double Chocolate, and Anderson Valley's Oatmeal. We all ranked them numerically, 1 to 4. Then we put the findings into a statistical equation and compared the results to some tables. We decided that our preferences are not different in an outstanding way. Afterwards we did descriptive analysis on 4 beers, most of which were pale or IPA's. One was the Big Daddy IPA from Speakeasy Brewing. I happened to noticed that it had a "cat pee" aroma to it. I mentioned this to the rest of the class; afterwards it was all anyone could smell with regard to that beer. I found it kind of funny how much it turns their stomachs to notice that aroma. Since I have two cats, it really doesn't bother me.
In the afternoon we began the weeks discussion on yeast. We covered the basics on yeast background and history, and we also discussed the basics on yeast propagation within a brewery. It seems to be too large of a financial obligation for anything but really large breweries. My professor went so far as to advise us, once we operate a microbrewery, to only deal with dried yeast. He had some good reasons for it, but I still don't like the idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home