This is where I will try to post, as often as I can, on beer topics that are related to my beer, the beer I drink, and my beer education.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Day 26, Engineering class

Today we continued last weeks discussion on heat transfer, and specifically covered convection, condensation, boiling, and radiation. Radiation is where heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves. For some reason, I forgot to bring my calculator today. But it worked out for the best, because I was able to borrow the professor's calculator (I believe it was a Ti-92, very nice). But the biggest difference was being able to see what I typed on those really long equations, so whenever I mispunched a number, I knew exactly where I made the mistake. I used to have a graphing calculator, but it no longer works so I am stuck using my financial calculator. This has turned out to be a good thing, because I am getting a lot of practice on it and it seems that we will not be able to use graphing calculators on our IBD exam in June (for the obvious reason that we could plug equations into it).
Towards the end of class today, we broke into groups and raced to finish problems correctly. The graphing calculator made it a lot easier, but I still did horrible. It seems that racing helps me to make more mistakes. Our group came in last. Oh well, I could care less. I understood all the concepts today, that makes me happy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lost Cause said...

(Of course ... this may explain my GPA) I always belived that i'd rather understand the conepts of the topic and test poorly ... than only understand how to get the "correct" answers and not have a clue why!

but thats just me!

8:47 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

I've got an HP-48G you can borrow if you'd like. It's a graphing calculator, but it's pretty sweet. I just haven't used it since.....uh...Junior year of college.

9:17 PM

 
Blogger joemonkey said...

Ooh, that would be great. Maybe Lindsay can pick that up from you when she is in Portland at the end of the month. Thanks.

7:50 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

If you want it, i can mail it. I probably won't need it again until Fall or Winter, but you'll be done by then.

7:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home