This is where I will try to post, as often as I can, on beer topics that are related to my beer, the beer I drink, and my beer education.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Day 8, barley and malt

I never before realized how many differences there are between barley and malt. Now I can draw a barley kernel, and I can even label at least half of its significant parts. One of the most important parts of malting the barley is to destroy the cell wall, and also to create some more enzymes which will help convert starches to sugars during the mash. Actually I learned way more than I intended in this arena, so if anyone has any questions, I would prefer to answer them specifically, rather than ramble on for 45 minutes about all the technicalities.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Does wheat get malted when used as an adjunct? What exactly does "torified" mean?

10:54 PM

 
Blogger GeddyT said...

Wow, this is the first time this blog has actually worked for me. Looks nice. Haven't had time to read yet. Keep up the beerin'.

11:35 PM

 
Blogger alaspooryorik said...

Troy suggested last week that I should have headed down and taken the brewing program since I have some time to kill before law school. Good thing I didn't. I knew it has chemistry/biology componants, but I didn't realize it was quite that extensive. More power to you though. Keep on brewing and I will keep on drinking.

8:14 AM

 
Blogger joemonkey said...

Wheat definitely gets malted for use as an adjunct. Without malting, it would lack the necessary enzymes to complete the conversion of starch to sugar. Also raw wheat is very viscous, so it would be a right pain in the arse to brew with. I am currently unsure what "torrefied" means (but it is spelled torrefied), it is mentioned here and there in my books, but never fully explained. I'll have to get back to you on that. I do know that torrefied wheat has an extract value (EV) of 300. In comparison crystal malt has EV 268, rice flakes has EV 360, malt extract has EV 300, etc.

5:29 PM

 
Blogger Andy said...

I always wondered why they don't call it malted wheat. I guess that would be kind of confusing. Malted wheat, malted barley, malted milk...

10:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home