This is where I will try to post, as often as I can, on beer topics that are related to my beer, the beer I drink, and my beer education.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Day 21, More Engineering

Today we began with heat transfer/exchange and moved on to conductivity. Dealing with conductivity we got as far as multiple layers. Its funny how with engineering, you either get it or you don't. For the most part we work through problems on our own and then together as a class. About half the problems I was able to finish very quickly, and then I would sit and read the text for the Brewing part of the class. The other half of the problems, I would work furiously and still finish last. Who knows... To generalize, the conductivity dealt with a pipe of a certain thickness, inside temperature, outside temperature, area of the surface of the heat transfer, heat, and a thermal conductivity constant. For the most part, this material is not terribly interesting, but can be very applicable to brewing, especially when heating and cooling the wort.

6 Comments:

Blogger Deez Nutz said...

"this material is not terribly interesting"

Well at least not to you, I wish I was taking that class, sounds cool!

9:44 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

brewing physics roxors.

11:04 AM

 
Blogger joemonkey said...

Actually Scott, its funny you mention it like that. If you or anybody else would like to come down to California and visit Linds and I, I could easily set it up so that you could sit in on my class for the day. A guy sat in on our class last Tuesday, and it went real well, he simply emailed the coordinator and claimed to be interested in taking the program next year.

5:04 PM

 
Blogger Deez Nutz said...

Sweet! I might have to do that though I don't see me getting down to Cali anytime before the wedding because of time and cost. But I'd love to do that sometime. How long is your program?

4:05 PM

 
Blogger joemonkey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:46 PM

 
Blogger joemonkey said...

Only through the beginning of June, so it would have to be before the wedding or not at all. Actually, it would probable be best to do it in the next 3 weeks. After that, I do not even have a syllabus for yet, I'll let you know about that once I know more.

5:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home