This is where I will try to post, as often as I can, on beer topics that are related to my beer, the beer I drink, and my beer education.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Day 14, A very long day

The morning part of the class was review time with the Engineering TA, but since I had already finished my Engineering homework, I used the time to study and ask questions in preparation for Friday's Brewing Exam. This week's Engineering homework seemed much easier for me, covering steady and unsteady state mass transfer and pressure drop. I hope the Engineering exam on Monday will seem just as easy.
I had lunch and a beer with the TA and then went back to class for a seminar on filtration. Filtration, as I already knew from winemaking experience, is an extremely boring subject. I actually fell asleep for a few minutes, and probably would have slept even more if it wasn't for his Swiss and entertainingly thick accent.
I stayed at the brewery after class to study for a bit and then to attend the quarterly Master Brewer's Association, Northern California sector, meeting. They didn't seem to accomplish a whole lot at this meeting, except plan a pub crawl, go over the minutes of the previous meeting, and then there was a short (30 minute) presentation on foam and cling. The meeting was followed by a very necessary dinner, considering the amount of beer consumed at and prior to the meeting. I've determined that the people in the brewing industry, especially the brewers, are some very smart and easy going people. Too bad I plan to move to Oregon, considering all the people in northern California that I have been meeting as of late.
Lindsay was nice enough to meet me at the brewery for another beer and provide me with a ride home.
The dinner cost 15 bucks, and I joined the MBAA which cost another 40, but at least the beer was free. All the brewers brought cases, kegs and growlers of all their best beers currently available, and most of which not even distributed.
A very good day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I suppose filtration becomes fairly important to commercial brewing - especially in "American-Style Pilsners." I would have to think it was boring. And unnecessary.

2:54 PM

 
Blogger joemonkey said...

I too believe filtration to be unnecessary, yet I must concede its ability to sell beer. Appearance, though not everything, can be very important to the average audience.

4:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home