This is where I will try to post, as often as I can, on beer topics that are related to my beer, the beer I drink, and my beer education.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Day 12, A day in the life of a brewer

Today we had a panel of 7 people in the brewing industry to give us their background information, explain to us what they did on a daily basis, and to answer any questions that we had for them. At times it was a little boring, but for the most part it was very interesting and informative.
Two people were from Sierra Nevada, one was a head brewer (Terry Sullivan, he organized and lead the entire event) and the other was in charge of packaging and production. Two people were from Anheuser Busch, the Fairfield location (apparently there are about a dozen locations), one was from quality assurance and the female was an assistant brewer. One guy was from sales, another was the owner/brewer of a small brewpub in San Francisco called Magnolias, and the last guy was the brewer of a small brewpub that recently expanded to involve bottling and packaging.
My favorite one, and I learned the most from him, was Ron Ryan who does Sales for a malt distribution company and consulting on the side. He seemed to have the widest range of experience, since he has worked in almost all aspects of the brewing industry.
All in all, the entire bunch provided a very accurate window into the various aspects of the brewing industry.
And of course, after class we were able to relax and have a beer and just chat with these people outside of the class setting.
It was a very good day.

4 Comments:

Blogger alaspooryorik said...

I hate how your days sound so much better than mine, even if I hate chemistry and biology. I'm jealous.

6:45 PM

 
Blogger Christopher Hughes said...

You're livin' the dream man...nice job

9:14 AM

 
Blogger Deez Nutz said...

Matt, Chemistry hate you too!

10:03 AM

 
Blogger Andy said...

clearly not chemistry powered.

2:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home